This is the most comprehensive guide to treat & prevent hair loss due to dandruff.
The best part?
I am going to show you Does dandruff cause hair loss? & How to prevent hair loss from dandruff? that really helpful for you.
In short: If you really want to get rid of dandruff and regrow your healthy hair, you’ll love this guide.
Let’s get started.
Does Dandruff Cause Hair Loss?
If you have dandruff on your scalp then you may see yellow or white flakes on your scalp.
If you have dandruff in your scalp, you may have experienced itching at some time, because dandruff can cause itchy scalp.
If you have dandruff in your scalp it may not cause any hair loss, but the itching in your scalp due to dandruff makes your hair follicles week, which can lead to excess hair loss.
If you are struggling with androgenetic alopecia(male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness) and at the same time there is a lot of itching due to dandruff in your scalp, then it increases your chances of hair loss much more.
A healthy person loses 50 to 100 hairs every day, if you have more hair loss due to your dandruff then you need to treat it.
What causes dandruff?
1. Brushing your hair irregularly:
Try to brush your hair regularly.
If you don’t brush your hair regularly then it can cause dandruff in your scalp due to the build-up of dead skin in your scalp.
2. Air pollution:
Air pollution is also can cause dandruff.
Due to air pollution, you may face allergic reactions or irritation which can lead dandruff in your scalp.
3. Not shampooing enough:
If you don’t shampoo your hair for long then it can cause dandruff on your scalp due to skin cells and oils buildup on your scalp.
So, if you have a dry scalp then wash your hair with shampoo twice a week or if you have oily scalp then wash your hair three times a week.
4. Alkaline shampoos:
If you use hair products that not suitable for your hair due to this you may experience flaky and itchy scalp which can lead dandruff on your scalp.
So, before choosing any hair product for your hair, first of all, you need to know about your hair texture, hair porosity, and hair density that helps you to choose the right hair product for your hair which is suitable for your hair.
It also can cause hair loss. Try to manage your stress with stress management techniques.
6. Dry skin:
If you have eczema or dry skin problem then you may experience a flaky and itchy scalp and also it makes your scalp dry or less oily.
It sometimes happens due to cold weather.
7. Irritated and oily skin:
If you have irritated and oily skin then you may experience seborrheic dermatitis that can cause an itchy rash with flaky scales.
It might look similar to an allergic reaction, eczema, psoriasis. It especially occurs in your scalp.
8. An unbalanced diet:
It also can cause dandruff. Try to eat foods that contain high vitamin B, zinc, fats which can help you to prevent dandruff.
9. Heat and dry air:
This is the main cause of dandruff because when you use it that can make you scalp dry.
Other skin conditions can cause both dandruff and hair loss? | What can cause both dandruff and hair loss?
1. Folliculitis decalvans:
If you have a rare inflammatory condition like folliculitis decalvans then you may experience itchy red patches that develop on your scalp and also it can destroy your hair follicles.
2. Seborrheic dermatitis:
If you have seborrheic dermatitis on your scalp then you may experience grayish or red scaly rash and that itches.
It can cause dandruff. If it left untreated then it can damage your hair follicles.
3. Lichen planopilaris:
If you have lichen planopilaris then you may experience a flaky rash that develops on your scalp and also dry scalp.
It can cause hair to fall out in clumps and also it can cause dandruff-like symptoms.
Lichen planopilaris is mostly common in women.
4. Scalp psoriasis:
It can affect your scalp.
If you have an autoimmune disease like psoriasis on your scalp then you may experience scaly patches that develop on your scalp and also it can make your scalp itchy.
It can lead to hair loss and also it can cause dandruff-like symptoms.
5. Fungal infections:
If you have fungal infections like ringworm or tinea capitis, then you may experience intense itching on your scalp, and also you may see blisters, or dry flakes, on your scalp which can lead dandruff on your scalp and also it can cause hair loss.
If you have fungal infections on your scalp then you need to consult with your doctor.
Dandruff alone can be caused due to one of the following.
- Certain male hormones cause dandruff in men.
- People with HIV(3)(compromised immune system) are likely to have dandruff.
- Contact dermatitis(1)
- Fungus like Malassezia can cause dandruff(2).
How To Treat & Prevent Hair Loss Due To Dandruff? | How to prevent hair loss from dandruff?
1. Manage Stress:
If you getting stress then you may face dandruff on your scalp because stress can interrupt your immune system and that can make your scalp prone to fungus.
Try to manage your stress by using stress management techniques like deep breathing exercises, yoga, meditation.
If you use anti-dandruff shampoos for washing your hair then after washing your hair try to massage your scalp with coconut oil.
Because anti-dandruff shampoos can make your hair dry, due to this you may face dandruff.
The dry scalp also a cause of dandruff. If you have dandruff due to an oily scalp then don’t use additional oil on your hair.
3. Home Remedies For Dandruff Hair Loss
Here are some home remedies that can help you to get rid of dandruff
A. Aloe Vera:
Try to use aloe vera on your scalp that can help you to prevent dandruff.
How to use:
1. Gently apply fresh aloe vera gel on your head
2. leave it for 30 minutes
3. Wash it with a mild shampoo
4. Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a week.
B. Apple Cider Vinegar:
If you have dandruff on your scalp then try to use apple cider vinegar on your scalp that can help you to maintain your scalp pH level and also it helps you to fight with fungus and also it helps you to shed your dead skin cells.
How to use:
1. Take 1 1/2 cups of cool water and take 1/2 cup ACV and combine.
2. Use shampoo and wash your hair as usual
3. Pour the mixture(water and ACV mix) through your hair
4. Don’t wash your hair again
5. If necessary try to use conditioner on your hair
C. Tea Tree Oil: It has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
1. Try to buy a shampoo that contains 5 percent tea tree oil
2. Try to take 5 to 10 drops of tea tree essential oil and add it to your current shampoo bottle and try to shake vigorously your shampoo bottle
3. Try to massage your hair gently with it and after that thoroughly wash your hair
4. Medicated Shampoos:
If you have mild dandruff then try to use medicated shampoos that contain such ingredients like:
- Selenium Sulfide
- Coal Tar
- Salicylic Acid
- Pyrithione Zinc
Before using it make sure you read the instructions that mention in the bottle for use.
If you have an allergic problem on your scalp to chemicals, then try to use herbal shampoos that contain some medicinal properties which can help you to prevent dandruff. some medicinal properties like:
- Rosemary oil
- Lemon extracts
- Tea tree oil
- Aloe vera
5. Steer Clear Of Harsh Hair Care:
If you use hair products that contain dyes, alcohol, fragrances, preservatives, Sulfates which can irritate your scalp and also due to the use of these hair products can lead to contact dermatitis.
Try to use a gentle shampoo that is free from containing dyes, alcohol, fragrances, preservatives, Sulfates.
Will Hair Loss From Dandruff Grow Back? | Does hair fall due to dandruff grow back?
Yes, it will grow back but it takes some time.
Once your scalp dandruff heals, your hair will also grow again. Home remedies, Good hair care routine, right hair care products, balanced diet all of these can helps you to regain your healthy hair.
Does Anti Dandruff Shampoo Cause Hair Loss?
It contains such ingredients as selenium sulfide which can cause further hair loss.
Is Hair Loss Due To Dandruff Temporary Or Permanent?
Hair loss due to dandruff is Temporary. Once your scalp dandruff heals, your hair will also grow again.
Should I wash my hair every day if I have dandruff?
Yes, you should wash(shampoo) your hair every day if you have dandruff on your scalp.
You need to use anti-dandruff shampoo on your hair twice a week.
If you don’t have dandruff on your scalp or if you have natural hair then you need to use the anti-dandruff shampoo once in a week.
Is dandruff a fungus?
Dandruff itself is not a fungus.
Can lemon remove dandruff?
Yes, if you have dandruff on your scalp then you can use lemon as a remedy it can help you to remove your dandruff.
Can I remove dandruff permanently?
Yes, but you need to use continuously coconut oil with lemon on your scalp as a home remedy.
Can excess dandruff cause balding? | Does dandruff cause baldness or receding hairline?
No, If you have excess dandruff on your scalp then you may face some hair loss, not complete baldness.
Because If you have excess dandruff on your scalp then you may experience itching on your scalp that can make your hair follicles weakened due to this you may face some hair loss.
The best shampoo for dandruff | The Best Dandruff Shampoos for Every Type of Hair
- Neutrogena T-Sal Shampoo
- Philip Kingsley Flaky Scalp Cleansing Shampoo
- Redken Scalp Relief Dandruff Control Shampoo
- Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Philip B Anti-Flake II Relief Shampoo
- Phyto Dandruff Treatment Shampoo
- Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
- Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo
Best Anti-Dandruff Hair Oils
- Morpheme Anti-Dandruff Hair Oil
- Sesa Oil Anti Dandruff Therapy
- Matrix Biolage Root Nourishing Hair Oil
- Allen’s Homeopathy Arnica Plus Triple Action hair vitalizer
- Tvam Neem Hair Oil
- Trichup Anti Dandruff Hair Oil
- Dabur Vatika Almond Hair Oil
- Himalaya Anti Dandruff Hair Oil
- Clear Anti Dandruff Nourishing Hair Oil
- Khadi Anti Dandruff Hair Oil
Best Anti-Dandruff Lotions
- Oshea Herbals Anti-Dandruff Lotion
- Sri Sri Tattva Anti Dandruff Lotion
- Maharshi Anti-Dandruff Lotion
- Shahnaz Husain Sharinse Plus Anti Dandruff Lotion
- Cystiphane Biorga Anti-Dandruff Lotion
- Avlon KeraCare Dry & Itchy Scalp Anti-Dandruff Spot Itch Lotion
- Tanvi Essentials Anti-Dandruff Hair Wash Lotion
- Re’equil Pre Wash Anti-Recurrence Dandruff Lotion
- Kaya Hair Essentials Anti-Dandruff Lotion
- Curatio NoSkurf Lotion
In this article, I was discussed in detail about Does dandruff cause hair loss? & How To Treat & Prevent Hair Loss Due To Dandruff?
I hope it’s helpful for you.
If you like this article please share it on social media and comment below if you have any queries related to this article.
- Dandruff & Hair Loss: How Are They Really Connected? (skin raft) https://skinkraft.com/blogs/articles/can-dandruff-cause-hair-loss
- Hall-Flavin DK. (2016). Can stress cause hair loss?
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2016). Dandruff.
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2018). Contact dermatitis.
- Avoiding Hair Loss from Dandruff (Healthline) https://www.healthline.com/health/dandruff-hair-loss#:~:text=In%20most%20cases%2C%20dandruff%20doesn,loss%2C%20though%20not%20complete%20baldness.
- Evangelista MTP, et al. (2013). The effect of topical virgin coconut oil on SCORAD index, transepidermal water loss, and skin capacitance in mild to moderate pediatric atopic dermatitis: A randomized, double‐blind, clinical trial. DOI:
- Dandruff: How to treat. (n.d.).
- Do you have an itchy scalp? 5 common problems and fixes. (2016).
- Piérard-Franchimont C, et al. (2006). Revisiting dandruff. DOI:
- Shino B, et al. (2016). Comparison of antimicrobial activity of chlorhexidine, coconut oil, probiotics, and ketoconazole on Candida albicans isolated in children with early childhood caries: An in vitro study. DOI:
- https://www.thecut.com/article/the-best-dandruff-shampoos.html – The Best Dandruff Shampoos for Every Type of Hair
- https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/anti-dandruff-hair-oils-available-in-india/ – 12 Best Anti-Dandruff Hair Oils Available In India – 2020
- https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/anti-dandruff-lotions/ – 10 Best Anti-Dandruff Lotions In India – 2020