Written & Reviewed By Myself
Hi, I Am Ijaj Seikh & I Am Indian.
For the past 4+ years, I’ve been a Hair Loss Specialist & Hair Care Advisor & Owner of Mrijajguide.
Working on your behalf, I’ll Explore effective Hair Loss Treatments.
I'll discover new research on hair regrowth treatments to transform your thinning hair to fuller thicker hair.
What is hair porosity?
What are the benefits of knowing about hair porosity?
What are the Different Types Of Hair Porosity?
- Low hair porosity
- Medium hair porosity
- High hair porosity
Can you change your hair porosity?
1/ Low hair porosity | What is Low porosity hair?
Characteristics of Low Porosity Curly Hair
- Your hair takes a while to get saturated.
- Water beads on top of your hair
- Products may sit on top of your hair
- Your styles take a long time to dry
- It takes a long time to moisture
- It takes a long time to dry
- It’s difficult to hydrate
How do you get Low porosity hair to accept moisture? | Tips for low porosity hair
- The deep condition when needed, and use heat.
- Clarify often to avoid buildup.
- Be careful with protein. Low porosity hair likely needs less protine then other porosities so don’t overdo it.
- Avoid using heavy products with thick oils and butter which can cause build-up.
- Use low suds shampoo instead of co-washing which can cause buildup.
- Use warm water on the last rinse to open hair cuticles
- Deep condition weekly and use heat to lift the cuticles so moisture can get in.
13 Best Oils For Low Porosity Hair
Products For Low Porosity Hair.
- As I am Cowash
- Curls Blueberry & coconut hair milk
- Omiaje Moisture Mask
- Alikey Naturals Aloe Berry Styling Gel
- Pacifica Pineapple swirl curl defining cream
Medium hair porosity
Medium porosity hair characteristics
- Does not get wet immediately but only takes a few minutes to absorb water
- Doesn’t dry quickly or slowly
- Still looks curly when wet but the curls are stretched out a bit.
- can be prone to buildup, dryness, and over moisturization
- It looks natural and healthy
- It can easily absorb and retain moisture
- It holds hairstyle for a long time
- It looks Elastic
- It looks resilient
Tips for Medium Porosity hair
- Deep condition regularly and use heat
- Keep protine in your routine to maintain balance, but it doesn’t need to be in your daily routine
- clarify on a regular basis to avoid buildup
- Use a co-wash or low poo
Hair products for medium hair porosity
High hair porous
Characteristics of high porosity hair
- Hair strands sink in water.
- Products tend to absorb easily yet hair requires more products
- Tangles easily form in the hair
- Hair has low shine /sheen
- Hair dries quickly
- Hair frequently looks and feels dry and rough
- Hair is very stretched out when it is wet
- Often struggles with volume
- More prone to dryness
- Easily over moisturized
- Prone to tangling
Tips for high porosity hair
- Use minimal heat. It’s best to air-dry your hair, if possible.
- Incorporate regular deep conditioning treatments into your hair care routine.
- Rinse with cold water to seal the cuticle and prevent frizz.
- Detangle gently with a wide-tooth comb to prevent hair loss and reduce hair breakage.
- Use a moisturizing leave-in conditioner and seal the moisture with butter or to help combat this thirsty hair porosity or you can adapt either the LCO or LOC method to seal moisture.
- Deep condition regularly, but don’t over it
- Incorporate protine regularly
- Use a low poo or low suds shampoo and clarify regularly
- Be careful with heavy products that can weigh down your hair, especially if it is thin.
Best natural oils for high porosity hair
Best products for high porosity hair
HOW TO DETERMINE POROSITY
The float test:-
The Slip ‘n Slide Test:-
The Spray Bottle Test:
FAQS ON HAIR POROSITY
- What porosity hair dries first?
- What hair porosity is best?
- Can you change your hair porosity?
- How to determine hair porosity?
- How to increase hair porosity?
- Why hair porosity is important?
- Does low porosity hair dry quickly?
- Dias MFRG. (2015). Hair cosmetics: An overview. DOI:
- Hessefort Y, et al. (2008). True porosity measurement of hair: A new way to study hair damage mechanisms.
- Sinclair RD. (2007). Healthy hair: What is it? DOI:
All Hair Porosity – https://www.ouidad.com/blog/curly-hair-routine-101/all-about-porosity
https://www.healthline.com/health/hair-porosity – What Type of Hair Porosity Do You Have?
https://skinkraft.com/blogs/articles/hair-porosity – What Is Hair Porosity & How To Determine Yours