Spread the love
Some people post many questions on quora about hair porosity.
Many people say that a common question “Does hair porous is important?” or “Why is important to know about hair porosity?“
Every people have a different porous of hair. Haircare products or treatments are made for different porous.
If you buy hair products or treatment for your hair, And you do not know about hair porosity its really harmful for your hair.
So before buying any hair products or treatments firstly you need to know about your hair porous.
It helps you to buy the right hair products or treatments for your hair. Hair experts told about the importance of hair porous you can see in those pictures…
Do you want to know about your hair porous?, If yes, Then Don’t worry about this I am here for you.
In this article, I explained to you in detail about hair porous. please read the complete article to know about this.
What is hair porosity?
Hair porosity means the ability to absorb and retain the moisture of your hair.
What are the benefits of knowing about hair porosity?
If you know about your hair porosity it helps you to know what types of hair care products and treatments are best for your hair.
It helps you to save your time and money to purchase various hair products and treatments.
Not all hair products and treatment work the same on all hair porosities.
So before purchasing or trying any hair Products or hair treatments you must learn your correct hair porosity.
What are the Different Types Of Hair Porosity?
Hair porosity is typically divided into three broad categories:
- Low hair porosity
- Medium hair porosity
- High hair porosity
Can you change your hair porosity?
If your hair porous is genetic, Then you can not be able to change it.
However, according to hair care experts, there are many things that help to make your hair healthier, And manageable.
1/ Low hair porosity | What is Low porosity hair?
Low porous means your hair cuticles are close together and clamped down or hair cuticles are flat and tight.
Because of this reason, Low porosity hair takes a long time to absorb water and product.
But when this happens (absorb moisture), It preserves the moisture in your hair for a long time and it prevents your hair from getting damaged or dry.
Characteristics of Low Porosity Curly Hair
- Your hair takes a while to get saturated.
- Water beads on top of your hair
- Products may sit on top of your hair
- Your styles take a long time to dry
- It takes a long time to moisture
- It takes a long time to dry
- It’s difficult to hydrate
How do you get Low porosity hair to accept moisture? | Tips for low porosity hair
- The deep condition when needed, and use heat.
- Clarify often to avoid buildup.
- Be careful with protein. Low porosity hair likely needs less protine then other porosities so don’t overdo it.
- Avoid using heavy products with thick oils and butter which can cause build-up.
- Use low suds shampoo instead of co-washing which can cause buildup.
- Use warm water on the last rinse to open hair cuticles
- Deep condition weekly and use heat to lift the cuticles so moisture can get in.
13 Best Oils For Low Porosity Hair
Argan oil(1), Grapeseed Oil(2), Jojoba Oil(3), Baobab Oil, Sunflowerseed Oil, Avacado Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Almond oil, Sesame oil, Safflower oil, Apricot Oil, Rosehip Oil(4).
Products For Low Porosity Hair.
- As I am Cowash
- Curls Blueberry & coconut hair milk
- Omiaje Moisture Mask
- Alikey Naturals Aloe Berry Styling Gel
- Pacifica Pineapple swirl curl defining cream
Medium hair porosity
Medium hair porous means a looser cuticle layer. Medium porous hair requires the least maintenance.
If you have Medium porous hair you are so lucky.
Because this type of hair doesn’t get frizzy, doesn’t dry out easily, It keeps your hairstyle longer, If you use home remedies or organic hair products your hair absorbs just the right amount of nutrients and holds on for a long time to it.
If you have Medium hair porosity then your hair looks healthy, shiny, and thicker.
Medium porosity hair characteristics
- Does not get wet immediately but only takes a few minutes to absorb water
- Doesn’t dry quickly or slowly
- Still looks curly when wet but the curls are stretched out a bit.
- can be prone to buildup, dryness, and over moisturization
- It looks natural and healthy
- It can easily absorb and retain moisture
- It holds hairstyle for a long time
- It looks Elastic
- It looks resilient
Tips for Medium Porosity hair
- Deep condition regularly and use heat
- Keep protine in your routine to maintain balance, but it doesn’t need to be in your daily routine
- clarify on a regular basis to avoid buildup
- Use a co-wash or low poo
Hair products for medium hair porosity
Camilla rose naturals cure love moisture milk and Camilla rose naturals Algae renew deep conditioner, Jojoba Oil, Aunt Jackie’s quench, Cantu shea butter shampoo or conditioner, As I am Cowash(hydration elation intensive conditioner.
High hair porous
High porous hair has cuticles that are wide open which means water can be absorbed quickly, however, it can lose that moisture just a fast.
High porosity hair looks frizzy and prone to breakage and damage. Due to a lack of moisture, it spoils the texture of your hair.
Characteristics of high porosity hair
- Hair strands sink in water.
- Products tend to absorb easily yet hair requires more products
- Tangles easily form in the hair
- Hair has low shine /sheen
- Hair dries quickly
- Hair frequently looks and feels dry and rough
- Hair is very stretched out when it is wet
- Often struggles with volume
- More prone to dryness
- Easily over moisturized
- Prone to tangling
Tips for high porosity hair
- Use minimal heat. It’s best to air-dry your hair, if possible.
- Incorporate regular deep conditioning treatments into your hair care routine.
- Rinse with cold water to seal the cuticle and prevent frizz.
- Detangle gently with a wide-tooth comb to prevent hair loss and reduce hair breakage.
- Use a moisturizing leave-in conditioner and seal the moisture with butter or to help combat this thirsty hair porosity or you can adapt either the LCO or LOC method to seal moisture.
- Deep condition regularly, but don’t over it
- Incorporate protine regularly
- Use a low poo or low suds shampoo and clarify regularly
- Be careful with heavy products that can weigh down your hair, especially if it is thin.
Best natural oils for high porosity hair
Olive Oil, Jojoba oil, coconut oil, Hemp seed oil,
Best products for high porosity hair
Ouidad curl quencher, Roux, jojoba monol, naturals Rose, Sacred tiare, Obia naturals babassu deep conditioner, Shea radiance, Aphogee, Coconut shea, Deva curl no-poo decadence.
HOW TO DETERMINE POROSITY
The float test:-
Take a full glass of water, And Take some strands of hair from your brush or comb(use clean hair).
Drop hair in a bowl of water. After that please wait for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes see on the glass of water if your hair floats on top of the water then your hair porosity is low.
If it floats somewhere in the middle then your hair porosity is medium.
If it sinks, you have high porosity.
The Slip ‘n Slide Test:-
Take a strand of hair and slide fingers up it, toward the scalp.
After that If you feel small bumps along the way, It means high porosity or If the shaft is smooth, the hair cuticle is bound tight and It means low porosity hair.
The Spray Bottle Test:
Take a small section of hair and mist it with a spray bottle, And Watch closely if the water beads up on the hair, it is low porosity or If it absorbs quickly, It means the hair is high porosity.
If notice the water sitting on your hair for a couple minutes before absorbing in, It means medium porosity hair.
FAQS ON HAIR POROSITY
- What porosity hair dries first?
High porosity hair.
- What hair porosity is best?
medium hair porosity.
- Can you change your hair porosity?
If your hair porosity is genetics then no other ways to change it. It is not genetic then you can change it.
- How to determine hair porosity?
you can easily determine your hair porosity. I was earlier mention in this about this.
- How to increase hair porosity?
I was discussing this earlier in this article.
- Why hair porosity is important?
It helps you to choose a better hair product or treatment for your hair.
- Does low porosity hair dry quickly?
In this article, I have explained in detail about hair porosity and also discuss high, and medium, and low hair porosity, Its characteristics and tips, and product of all of them.
It helps you to treat your hair porosity whatever you have, and also It helps you to choose a write product or treatment for your hair.
If you like it then please share this article and comment below Is it helpful for you or not.
- Dias MFRG. (2015). Hair cosmetics: An overview. DOI:
- Hessefort Y, et al. (2008). True porosity measurement of hair: A new way to study hair damage mechanisms.
- Sinclair RD. (2007). Healthy hair: What is it? DOI:
All Hair Porosity – https://www.ouidad.com/blog/curly-hair-routine-101/all-about-porosity
https://www.healthline.com/health/hair-porosity – What Type of Hair Porosity Do You Have?
https://skinkraft.com/blogs/articles/hair-porosity – What Is Hair Porosity & How To Determine Yours
Spread the love