This is the most comprehensive guide to stop a receding hairline.
The best part?
I am going to show you in detail about the Causes of Receding Hairline and also Receding Hairline Treatment, that really helpful for you.
In short: If you really want to fix your receding hairline, you’ll love this guide.
Let’s get started.
What Is A Receding Hairline?
This actually happens when you are between 20 and 30 years old.
Receding hairline is found in both men and women and it is very common.
Both men and women can face receding hairline when they are between 20 and 30 years old.
Receding hairline occurs mostly in men. But women also have to face a receding hairline.
Receding hair loss problem is also known as a mature hairline or receding hairline is actually age-related hair loss, or can also be genetic hair loss.
In receding hair loss, the hair above your forehead starts to fall as the hair above your forehead becomes thinner, and your hairline starts appearing.
This is one of the first signs of male pattern baldness and this can be caused by several reasons.
Is a receding hairline bad?
Yes, A receding hairline can be upsetting you. This can ruin your pretty look. If you have this problem you need to treat it.
Is it normal to have a receding hairline at 15?
No, It is not normal, you need to consult with you doctor for what are the treatment option is available to treat it.
Should I shave my head with a receding hairline?
Yes, you can do it. If you have noticeable bald, then you can shave your head which can help you to hide a receding hairline.
How long does it take to go bald once you start thinking?
It takes a very very long time. It takes 15 to 25 years to go bald, but sometimes it can be quicker.
How early can you start balding?
If you have a receding hairline problem at teens then you may see your hair starts falling as early as late teens and early 20s.
What Causes Receding Hairline?
- Illness or stress: Stress is the main cause of hair loss that can lead to a telogen effluvium or sudden hair loss problems.
- Family history: How long your hair will be on your forehead depends on your family story.
Your family story plays a very important role in your hair loss.
If there is a problem of pattern baldness in your family, then you may also get hair loss.
- Medications or treatments: Sometimes medications and treatments may also cause a hair loss problem.
- Age: Hair loss is very common due to age and all people have to face it.
As you get older, your hair starts falling slowly. As you get older or above 30 years, your hair starts falling out.
This is because whenever your hair falls, new hair grows at that place.
But if your hair follicle becomes damaged due to any reason, then new hair does not grow at that place.
- Hormonal changes: This is one of the most common hair loss problems it happens due to the DHT hormone.
DHT hormones can shrink your hair follicle due to this hair doesn’t come anywhere on them.
Both men and women can face this problem.
- Hairstyles: Do you use style products or heat styling to style your hair? If yes then please avoid using style products or heat styling.
Using tight hairstyles, coloring chemicals, bleaching, heat styling can lead to a receding hairline.
Stop using all these hair products more and use them only on a special occasion.
- Lifestyle choices: Smoking is a common cause of hair loss. People who smoke are more likely to have hair loss than those who don’t smoke.
- Telogen Effluvium: It is a common cause of hair loss, it happens due to several reasons such as dietary deficiencies, shock, hormonal changes, stress.
- Dandruff: Dandruff can occur in your hair due to sensitivity to hair care products, psoriasis or eczema, dry skin, fungi.
Dandruff cannot be a direct cause of hair loss but because of dandruff scratching, itching all happens.
Due to this, your hair follicles become weak due to which there may be a problem of hair loss.
Receding Hairline Stages
Stage 1 – This is the first stage of receding hairline where your hair starts falling in a little amount which is not so visible.
Stage 2 – This is the second stage of receding hairline where it occurs at the temples.
Stage3 – This is the third stage of receding hairline where it moves backward that giving an ‘M’ shape and is now able to quite visible.
Stage 4 vertex – This is the fourth stage of receding hairline and during this stage, you may experience balding at the top of your head in a small spot.
Stage 5 – This is the fifth stage of receding hairline and during this stage your hair loss is significant and you may seem like a ‘U’ formation when it is seen from above.
Stage 6 – This is the six-stage of receding hairline and during this stage, your receding hairline progresses towards the back of your head.
Stage 7 – This is the seventh stage of receding hairline and during this stage, your front part and your crown part are completely bald.
Stage 8 – This is the last stage of receding hairline and during this stage, your hair loss is seen at the sides of your head too.
What contributes to a receding hairline
- using chemicals such as bleach and peroxide to color hair
- smoking cigarettes
- over-styling hair (especially with heat)
- eating a diet that’s high in saturated fat, processed foods, preservatives, and sugar
- choosing tight hairstyles like cornrows and braiding
Receding Hairline Treatment | How to fix receding hairline? | How to stop a receding hairline?
- Lower DHT levels: You need to reduce your body DHT hormone level.
Try to eat lysine and zinc-rich foods such as pecans, cashews, almonds that help you to reduce your body DHT hormone level.
- Minoxidil or Rogaine: You can use minoxidil on your hair during bedtime that helps you to regrow your hair. Before using minoxidil consult your doctor.
- Cosmetic Shampoos: Try to use cosmetic shampoos on your hair. It’s known as a DHT blocker shampoo.
It helps you to prevent the activity of DHT and also it helps you to stimulate your hair growth. Try to use a shampoo that contains ketoconazole.
- Finasteride or Propecia: It helps you to reduce your body’s DHT hormone level which causes a receding hairline. It helps you to regrow your hair.
- Anthralin: It also helps to regrow your hair.
- Corticosteroids: It helps you to reduce the inflammation of the scalp and also helps you to regrow your hair.
- Scalp Massage: If you want to treat receding hairline then you need to take a scalp massage every day. It helps you to stimulate your hair growth.
- Essential Oils: Try to use essential oils on your hair but don’t use essential oils directly on your hair.
Try to mix essential oils with a carrier oil. It helps you to stimulate your hair growth.
Always try to use peppermint oil, lavender oil, rosemary oil on your hair that helps you to treat receding hairline.
- Home Remedies: If you have a receding hairline problem then try to use some home remedies on your hair that helps you to increase blood flow in your scalp and also helps you to stimulate hair growth.
Try to use aloe vera, gooseberry, Chinese hibiscus, ginseng as a home remedy. Try to mix one of these herbs with castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil.
- Hair Transplant: you can also choose a hair transplant to treat receding hairline.
- Laser Treatment: You can choose laser treatment to treat receding hairline. But it may take several sessions for hair growth.
- Diet: Try to eat a healthy diet that contains protein, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins that helps you to make your hair healthier and thicker.
- Switch to a gentle shampoo: Are you use chemical shampoo on your hair? If yes then stop it from today.
Try to use organic shampoos on your hair that helps you to make your hair healthier and also stimulate your hair growth.
- Lower your stress and anxiety: If you want to treat your receding hairline then you need to reduce your stress and anxiety.
Try some stress management techniques to reduce your stress and anxiety.
Can I grow my receding hairline? | Can I grow my receding hairline naturally?
Yes, If you want to regrow your hairline then you need to increase your blood flow on your scalp.
Try to massage your scalp and try to exercise every day that helps you to increase blood flow to your scalp and helps you to regrow your hairline.
Also, you can try those treatments that I earlier discussed.
What is the best treatment for receding hairline? | How can I grow a hairline on my forehead?
Try to use Minoxidil or Rogaine, Finasteride or Propecia, Anthralin, Corticosteroids that help you to regrow your hairline.
Castor oil for receding hairline | Does castor oil regrow hairline?
Yes, Castor oil can regrow your hairline. Many people claim that when they use castor oil on hair their hair grows back in a month.
Many people use this oil to treat hair loss or longer hair.
How long does it take for castor oil to grow hair?
It could take a longer time. It takes 3 to 4 months to regrow hair.
9 Essential oils for hair growth and thickness(1)
- Tea tree essential oil.
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Thyme essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Clary sage essential oil
7 Best Carrier Oil For Hair Growth & Healthy Hair(2)
- Jojoba Carrier Oil
- Castor Carrier Oil
- Coconut Carrier Oil
- Avocado Carrier Oil
- Apricot Kernel Carrier Oil
- Olive Carrier Oil
- Sunflower Carrier Oil
- Argan Carrier Oil
Receding hairline haircuts | 20+ Best Hairstyles for a Receding Hairline(3)
- Prince William Tightly-cropped Hairdo
- The Regulation Cut
- The Slicked Back Undercut
- The Buzz Cut
- Longer Haircuts
- Gordon Ramsay
- Parted Comb Over
- The Crew Cut
- The Clean Shave
- The Mohawk
- The Mop
- The Taper Fade
- The High and Tight
- Young Dwayne’s crew cut
- Close Cut
- Nic Cage’s long, slicked-back
- David Beckham’s slicked back undercut
- Hugh Laurie Layered Classic Cut
10 Foods That Can Help Your Hair Grow Faster, According to Nutritionists | Food for hair growth and thickness
- Sunflower Seeds
- Chia Seeds
Best shampoo for hair growth faster | 15 Hair Growth Shampoos That Actually, Truly Work(4)
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
- Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo
- Davines Naturaltech Energizing Shampoo
- Dr. Dennis Gross Root Resilience Strengthening Shampoo
- Klorane Thickness & Vitality Shampoo with Essential Olive Extract
- Ducray Anaphase Cream Shampoo
- Philip Kingsley Body Building Shampoo
- Her Shampoo
- Evolis Professional Promote Shampoo
In this article, I was discussed in detail “What Causes Receding Hairline?” and also “Receding Hairline Treatment“.
I hope it’s helpful hair you.
If you like this article please share it and comment below if you have any queries related to this article.
- https://www.healthline.com/health/receding-hairline – Why Do I Have a Receding Hairline?
- https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-stop-receding-hairline – Can I Stop My Hairline from Receding? Medical and At-Home Treatments
- All you need to know about receding hairline – https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320537
- https://skinkraft.com/blogs/articles/receding-hairline – How To Combat A Receding Hairline In 8 Ways
- Hair loss: Introduction. (2015).
- Mayo Clinic Staff. (2016). Hair loss: Treatments and drugs.
- Types of Hair Loss. (n.d.).
- Avci P, et al. (2013). Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) for treatment of hair loss. DOI:
- Koyama T, et al. (2016). Standardized scalp massage results in increased hair thickness by inducing stretching forces to dermal papilla cells in the subcutaneous tissue.
- Lee BH, et al. (2016). Hair growth-promoting effects of lavender oil in C57BL/6 mice. DOI:
- McClellan KJ, et al. (1999). Finasteride: A review of its use in male pattern hair loss.
- Oh JY, et al. (2014). Peppermint oil promotes hair growth without toxic signs. DOI:
- Olsen EA, et al. (2002). A randomized clinical trial of 5% topical minoxidil versus 2% topical minoxidil and placebo in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men. DOI:
- Panahi Y, et al. (2015). Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: A randomized comparative trial. DOI:
- Patel S, et al. (2015). Hair growth: Focus on the herbal therapeutic agent.
- Piérard-Franchimont C, et al. (1998). Ketoconazole shampoo: Effect of long-term use in androgenic alopecia. DOI:
- Stonerock GL, et al. (2015). Exercise as a treatment for anxiety: Systematic review and analysis. DOI:
Hi, I Am Ijaj Seikh & I Am Indian.
For the past 4+ years, I’ve been a Hair Loss Specialist & Hair Care Advisor & Owner of Mrijajguide.
Working on your behalf, I’ll Explore effective Hair Loss Treatments.
I'll discover new research on hair regrowth treatments to transform your thinning hair to fuller thicker hair.
Your feelings are important to me, and I look forward to developing a long-term relationship with you as your Hair Loss Specialist & Haircare Advisor.