There are Some people who suffer from telogen effluvium and they have not got the right treatment for telogen effluvium till now.
For this reason, those people have put some questions in quora about “Telogen effluvium treatment”. You can see in this picture…
Do you also suffer from telogen effluvium? and are you looking for the right treatment for telogen effluvium?
If yes then do not worry about this I am here for you.
In this article, I will explain to you in detail about telogen effluvium – symptoms, treatments, recovery, and more.
Please read the article completely and comment below its helpful for you or not.
What is Telogen effluvium?
Telogen effluvium is a scalp disorder characterized by the thinning or shedding of hair resulting from the early entry of hair in the telogen phase (the resting phase of the hair follicle).
When suddenly a lot of hair starts falling, due to an accident or due to stress, its called telogen effluvium. Before you understand telogen effluvium you need to know three phases of the hair cycle first.
1/Anagen Or Growth Phase:- This is the phase where hair grows from the roots. Scalp hair stays in this active phase of growth for 2–7 years; this period is genetically determined.
2/ Catagen Or Transitional Phase:-The hair is in the slow-growth phase and the follicle shrinks. This is usually only for 2 months.
The catagen phase, also known as the transitional phase, allows the follicle to, in a sense, renew itself.
3/ Telogen Or Resting Phase:-In this phase, New hairs are ready to come out and old hair falls out of the roots. The process results in normal hair loss known as shedding.
Usually, at any given time, 5-10% of hair in the telogen phase. Every day a normally 100 hair falls out.
In Telogen Effluvium 35% of hair in the Telogen Or Resting Phase. In Telogen Effluvium 350 hair falls out.
Two types of telogen effluvium:-
Chronic Telogen Effluvium:
Any person who has Chronic Telogen Effluvium, their hair falls for 6 months or even longer. this disease mostly occurs in the hair of women.
Acute Telogen Effluvium:
Any person who has Acute Telogen Effluvium, their hair falls for 6 months or shorter.
Telogen Effluvium Symptoms | How to know if you have chronic telogen effluvium?
In telogen effluvium suddenly a lot of hair starts falling. When someone is having a telogen effluvium problem, When they wash or brush their hair, they see more hair falling than normal.
If anyone having problem telogen effluvium, It can be detected only while washing or brushing hair, this is the only way to know it.
Telogen Effluvium Causes
- Major psychological stress, shock, or trauma or Accident: One of the most common reasons for telogen effluvium is stress.
A bad relationship, death of a family member or any other accidental event in life can trigger hair follicles skip anagen phase to telogen effluvium or resting phase.
A few days ago I got this post on Reddit. In this post, A student told that he suffering from telogen effluvium because of stress. you can see this Reddit post…
- Extreme weight loss or Extreme change in diet: One of the most common reasons for telogen effluvium is weight loss.
Many people who lose weight do so with restricted calorie intake. Just like your body, your hair needs calories to grow properly.
When you are on a restricted diet and losing weight, more hair than usual goes into the resting phase, so hair falls out faster than it grows back in.
A few days ago I got some posts on Reddit. most of the Women suffer from telogen effluvium because of extreme weight loss or extreme change in diet. you can see those Reddit post…
- During Pregnancy or Childbirth, menopause: Every Woman faced telogen effluvium During Pregnancy.
At the time of pregnancy, there is a lack of vitamins and nutrients in the body due to which the hair goes into the resting phase or telogen phase. Because of that, Every woman faced telogen effluvium during pregnancy.
Childbirth and Menopause are the most common reasons for telogen effluvium.
Because of the imbalance of hormones in the body of women during Childbirth and Menopause, due to which hair goes into the telogen phase or resting phase.
Up to 60% of your hair that is in the growth state may enter into the telogen phase. You can face telogen effluvium within 3-4 months after childbirth.
- Nutritional deficiency:- Like your body, your hair also needs nutrition to grow well.
When there is a lot of nutritional deficiency in your body, then your hair cannot grow properly because they do not get a sufficient amount of nutrients due to which your growth phase hair goes into the resting phase or telogen phase.
- Excessive sun exposure:- Sunlight is very good for your hair but wait “It is not good to do anything in excessive”.
When excessive sunlight falls in your hair, your hair becomes too hot, because of which it affects your hair follicle, This makes your hair follicle very weak.
If you work in the sun every day and your hair is hot in the sun all day, then after a few months you can face telogen effluvium.
- Surgical operation or medications(0): During the surgery, there is some amount of mental stress, changes in diet, and some medications that have to be taken. All these directly trigger telogen effluvium.
- Autoimmune Disorders(1): In this disorder, your body attack their own hair follicles. During Autoimmune Disorders your body affects their own thyroid glands and alopecia areata this may be causing telogen effluvium.
- Endocrine disorders (eg, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism)(2): A condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormones.
Hypothyroidism’s deficiency of thyroid hormones can disrupt such things as heart rate, body temperature, and all aspects of metabolism, This may be causing telogen effluvium.
Hypothyroidism is most prevalent in older women. it may be causing telogen effluvium.
- Skin disease affecting the scalp (eg, erythroderma)(3)
- Illnesses such as malaria, tuberculosis, HIV infection(4)
- Discontinuing the contraceptive pill(5)
- Serious injuries
Telogen Effluvium Treatment
- Take a healthy diet for correcting nutritional deficiencies: Take a healthy diet style, which contains a large number of fruits and vegetables.
Try to eat Eggs, dairy, Omega-3 fatty acids, nuts, spinach, sweet potatoes, avocados, berries, and so on.
- Opt For essential hair care(Take care of your hair): In telogen effluvium, everyone tells you to stop using your regular shampoo because those shampoos you usually use to wash your hair a lot of chemicals are used in them and This is very harmful to your hair.
It’s true but If you stop using your regular shampoo then you may face some new hair problems. So please do not stop using your regular shampoo.
I suggest you that please start using Organic shampoos and conditioners.
Use your regular shampoo only twice a week and the rest of the day you use organic shampoo and conditioner.
If you use organic shampoo and conditioner in your hair, it will help you in your hair regrowth and recovery.
Stop using colors and straighteners on your hair it’s really harmful to your hair.
Keep heat styling like straightening, blow-drying, and curling for special occasions.
- OTC Medication(6):- You can use OTC(over the counter) products during telogen effluvium.
It helps you to the regrowth of your hair. Use Minoxidil(5% strength)(7) on your hair scalp every night it helps you to regrowth your hair.
- Management Of Stress(live a stress-free life): Take a healthy lifestyle. Wake up early in every morning and after getting up, do yoga asanas, pranayama or breathing exercises, and meditation.
- Tips for dealing with Telogen Effluvium during pregnancy and after delivery:- These are some of the things that you can do to have healthier hair during pregnancy and after delivery.
1/Consult with the health care provider to ensure a proper balance of hormones.
2/Eat a healthy diet. Eat more and more fruits and vegetables to get flavonoids and antioxidants that provide protection for the hair follicles and ensure hair growth.
3/Start using organic shampoos and conditioners. Use your regular shampoo only twice a week and the rest of the day you use organic shampoo and conditioner.
4/Stop using straightening, blow-drying, and curling. Keep heat styling like straightening, blow-drying, and curling for special occasions.
5/Start taking the following nutrients in your diet:-Vitamin B complex, Biotin, Vitamin A, Vitamine C, Vitamin E, Zinc, Iron, etc.
- Tips for dealing with Telogen Effluvium during The Manopause(8):-
1/ Reduce stress: Doing yoga asanas, pranayama or breathing exercises, and meditation are especially effective in fighting menopausal symptoms. Start exercising regularly can help reduce stress.
2/ Eat Well:- Eating a balanced, low-fat diet is your best defense against hair loss. Make sure you include whole grains, fruits, and vegetables in your diet.
Essential fatty acids also play a crucial role in maintaining hair health. Eat the following foods for fatty acids:-salmon, tuna, flaxseed oil, walnuts, almonds.
3/ Hydrate hydrate hydrate:- Keep your body hydrated. As a general rule, however, you should aim to have eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day.
Your body needs to be hydrated in order to function properly. Eat Sodas, juices, other flavored drinks that contain more sugar than your body needs.
4/ Talk to Your Docter About Your Medications:- If you feel that you are losing your hair due to the medication you are taking, then you should consult your doctor about this and ask the doctor to change your medication to another medication so that your hair loss problem is over.
- Consult with a dietician before start dieting(9): One of the most common reasons for telogen effluvium is dieting. If you are doing your diet without consulting the dietician to lose your weight.
It’s very harmful to your body and your hair. When you are on dieting, there are deficiencies of vitamins and iron in your body, due to which your hair goes into the telogen phase or resting phase.
If you want to lose your weight then please Consult a dietician before start dieting.
List of the best dietitian(10) and nutritionists in India:-
1/Dt. Shubhra Jain
7/Dt. Kamal Bajwa
8/Dr. Ambedkar Ratna
Telogen Effluvium Diet | Telogen Effluvium Treatments Vitamins
- B-Vitamins: Salmon, Leafy, Greens, Liver, and Other Organ Meats Eggs Milk Beef Oysters, Clams, and Mussels
- Vitamin C: Kakadu Plums, Acerola Cherries, Rose Hips, Chili Peppers, Guavas, Sweet Yellow Peppers, Blackcurrants.
- Vitamin D: Salmon, Herring, and Sardines, Cod liver oil, Canned tuna, Egg yolks, Mushrooms, Fortified foods.
- Vitamin E: Wheat Germ Oil, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Hazelnut Oil, Mamey Sapote.
- Iron: Shellfish, Spinach, Liver and other organ meats, Legumes, Red meat.
- Zinc: Meat, Shellfish, Legumes, Seeds, Nuts, Dairy.
- Protein: Eggs, Almonds, Chicken breast, Oats, Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Milk.
- Selenium: Brazil nuts, Fish, Ham, Enriched foods, Pork, Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Cottage cheese, Brown rice, Sunflower seeds, Baked beans, Mushrooms.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): Tuna (Yellowfin), Lean Chicken Breast, Lean Pork Chops, Beef (Skirt Steak), Portabella Mushrooms, Brown Rice, Peanuts (Dry Roasted), Avocados, Green Peas.
- (Folic Acid) – Vitamin B9: Legumes, Asparagus, Eggs, Leafy greens, Beets, Citrus fruits.
- Biotin: Yeast, Nuts and Seeds, Salmon, Avocados, Sweet potatoes, Broccoli.
Telogen Effluvium Recovery
The disease of Telogen effluvium, when it occurs to someone, lasts only for 1 to 6 months in many cases or even longer than in some cases, and after that, your old healthy hair comes back.
If you suffer from telogen effluvium in now days then don’t worry about this try those telogen effluvium treatments which I have already told in this article.
You can see in these pictures that many people recover successfully from telogen effluvium.
FAQS ON TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM
- How long does it take for telogen effluvium to stop?
The normal duration of telogen effluvium is approximately 100 days or 3 to 6 months after which period the hair starts growing again.
- Does hair recover 100% from chronic telogen effluvium? | Will my hair ever recover from telogen effluvium?
The answer is yes, Although it may take 6 to 12 months for the hair to return to baseline.
- Is hair fall due to a telogen effluvium temporary?
Again answer is yes, The normal durations of telogen effluvium are approximately 100 days or 3 to 6 months after which period the hair starts growing again.
- How many hairs do you lose a day with telogen effluvium?
Usually, at any given time, 5-10% of hair in the telogen phase. Every day a normally 100 hair falls out.
In Telogen Effluvium 35% of hair in the Telogen Or Resting Phase.
In Telogen Effluvium 350 hair falls out in a day.
- Does telogen effluvium stop suddenly?
The answer is No, The normal durations of telogen effluvium is approximately 100 days or 3 to 6 months after which period the hair starts growing again.
- How do you know if you are recovering from telogen effluvium?
Telogen effluvium causes more hair loss on the top of the scalp, After 3 to 6 months of shedding, check for signs of regrowth on the top of your hairline. The re-growth is a clear sign of recovery.
- Can you go bald with telogen effluvium?
Does not go completely bald in telogen effluvium. You can see only thinning patches and spots on the scalp.
- can telogen effluvium be treated?
The answer is yes. You can treat telogen effluvium through those tips which I mention earlier in this article.
- Telogen effluvium treatment shampoo?
don’t use shampoos with sulfates! And use a shampoo that has biotin and collagen in it!
In this article, I have explained in detail about Telogen effluvium causes and prevention and vitamins and recovery.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any questions related to this, then you can ask through comment.
If you like this article, please share it and comment on it.
- Effluviums. (n.d.)
- Oakley, A. (2013). Anagen effluvium